Friday, January 19, 2007

Village Trips


Being so new to this area, I have been a little hesitant to actually make up mind about my village. It has snow covering everything, naturally this time of year, so therefore it is a pretty little village. It has also been dark much of the time, so kind of hard to tell for sure. However, being from the mountain I miss the trees surrounding me. There are almost no tree's around me here, but there are some beautiful mountain ranges within easy reach and I assume they must be covered in beautiful evergreens! This will be proven in the next few months. I managed to make it up to one of the neighboring villages today. It was truly beautiful! It was just the outskirts of the village, but it still made me think of all those postcards that you see showing Alaska scenery. Snow covered evergreens surrounded the entire area, a breath-taking frozen river cut across our path and the sun was doing its best to display an awe inspiring sunrise, by the way it was around noon. I realize that each village around me will be splendid in its own way. My little village is on the coast and therefore will be full of wildlife from mountains and sea. My co-workers tell me that from the windows of our building we can watch the seals and whales in the spring. I will be keeping you updated on that one!! I am sad that I did not remember my camera this time, but this is not the last time I will be there. For my job requirements, this will be a common destination for me. Today I was luck enough to have a few of my expectations come true. Well, here is a picture that I got outside the window at the Anchorage Airport a few days ago.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I guess you always think of Alaska on the coast as flat. Not sure why. It looks cold. Brrrr.

Dr. Bob said...

It looks cold, sweetie. Yes! get pictures! I am eager to see what your landscape is like. Love you!