Sunday, May 27, 2007

Nome

My travels have now led me to Nome. You really can't travel this far north and NOT visit the legendary Nome. I have a friend who has started working there so I had prime opportunity to visit. Nome is different than any of the "villages" I have been to so far in the fact that it was established as a non-native mining town. All of the villages I have been to so far are native established.
Nome has a few lovely things that I have missed sorely in my part of the world. They have bars and restaurants. sigh. Though it is still not quite civilized in the fact that you can't get your haircut in town. Oh, for a haircut!
Nome had their harbor break up before ours did. The middle picture is what is left of their ice and it was taken on one of the few "nights" left in this part of the world. I think was taken around 0200 in the morning.
Really didn't get to see much of Nome, but took these pictures to share. I liked Nome, but it is certainly a place to visit only.


2 comments:

Dr. Bob said...

What is that? A great big tractor tire? If that is the Welcome to Nome sign, well ... That is just plain sad. Nome is a big city!

The Lass said...

It is a big mining pan. Not oodles better but still it reflects the heritage better than a tractor tire would.